TMJ TMD Treatment Edmonton AB
Get Relief from TMJ Jaw Pain
Normally, you expect pain to dissipate after a few minutes or a few hours. When you have a headache or stub your toe, you know the pain will pass. However, sometimes pain doesn’t dissipate, and it signals a serious problem somewhere in your body. If you have constant pain in your jaw, you may have a condition called temporomandibular disorder (TMD). If you think you have temporomandibular joint (TMJ) jaw pain, our Edmonton team can assist you. A variety of procedures may bring you relief and help you heal.
Know More About TMD
Temporomandibular disorder affects the temporomandibular joint, the most complex joint in your body. The joint connects the lower jaw to your upper jaw just in front of your ear hole. It moves in three directions—up and down, sideways, and forward and back. Between your upper and lower jaw, you have a disc or pad that provides cushioning so your bones don’t grind together. With normal jaw movement, your bones simply glide over the disc.
However, if your jaw moves incorrectly due to misalignment or other problems, you could develop TMD. TMD’s symptoms include:
- Severe headaches or migraines (which can become chronic)
- Jaw, neck, and shoulder pain
- Popping or clicking when you move your jaw
- Locking jaw
- Teeth grinding
- Hearing problems, including tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Sinus problems
- Numbness or tingling along the arm
- Posture problems
- Difficulty sleeping
TMD can arise because of teeth clenching, teeth grinding, chewing gum, a misaligned bite, genetics, or injury. But no matter the cause, you’ll need fast treatment to feel relief and prevent permanent damage.
Explore TMJ Treatment Options
If you have TMD, your treatments may include:
- Bite adjustment
- Jaw repositioning devices
- TENS (transcutaneous electrical neural stimulation), which uses a nine-volt battery, electrodes, and a signal generator to create an electrical current that relaxes your facial nerves
To learn more about treating TMJ jaw pain in Edmonton, call Today’s Dental at 780-489-1010.